Friday April 3, 2015 - The death toll rises after Al-Shaabab attack on
Kenyan university. At least a hundred and fifty reported murdered during
Thursday's attack on Garissa University College. The UK and US condemn
attack and offer support to Kenya.
Daily Nation newspaper reports that
the bodies of forty eight students killed in the attack have been
brought to Chromo Mortuary in a Kenya Air Force plane from where the
task of identifying the victims would begin.
Health Cabinet Secretary
James Macharia said the government has set up a National Disaster
Operations Centre to assist families and friends of victims with
information on the status of their loved ones.
“The families can get the
list of victims who passed away (read were killed) during the attack and
where their kin can receive the body. Also, there is a manifest of
students who survived the attack, where they are at the moment and how
they can be linked to their families,” said Mr Macharia.
stadium, he said, there will be information and assistance for
processing transfer of bodies from Chiromo Mortuary, receiving and
transfer of survivors. The crisis operations centre is being run by
officials from various ministries, and it is also offering psychosocial
support and counselling services.
said the 500 students who survived would be ferried to Nairobi using
National Youth Service buses.
Further, the CS said since facilities at Garissa Level Five Hospital have been stretched, the ministry had
dispatched a truck with medical supplies.
“We have also sent a total of
six medical staff, two surgeons and four doctors and nurses, to help,”
Mr Macharia told journalists at Wilson Airport. He said the government
would pay the medical bills of all victims. “No one will be required to
pay anything for whatever services provided,” he said.
The BBC reports that even as Kenya
mourns the tragic loss, questions are being asked about the preparedness
of the security forces given that rumours had been circulating about a
planned Al-Shaabab attack.
"Kenyan newspapers say there was intelligence
information of an imminent attack on a school or university. Locals
question why security was not heightened, with only two guards on duty
at the time of the attack.
Four more people have been found alive on the
campus, but two are suspects and have been arrested, sources say. One is
said to be a Tanzanian national with no known links to the university.
Kenya's interior minister declared the recovery operation over.
Joseph Nkaiserry identified the victims as 142 students, three police officers
and three soldiers. "We have called off the operation after combing the
whole university, all the bodies have been removed from the scene and
brought to Nairobi," he said after arriving back in the capital.
in neighbouring Uganda say they have received information suggesting a
similar attack is being planned there.
Security services appear to have
had some information that an attack on an institution of higher learning
was in the offing and appear to have warned institutions to be careful,
the Daily Nation newspaper reports.
A dusk to dawn curfew has now been
imposed in Garissa and three nearby counties.
The BBC's Anne Soy saw
ambulances leaving the Garissa campus on Friday and hundreds of
survivors being sent home. One survivor, who hid in bushes for five
hours, told the BBC that students had raised the issue at the end of
last year, but only two armed guards had been provided. One of the few
students from the local community, he said he would never set foot on
the campus again.
The heavily armed gunmen killed the two security
guards first, then fired indiscriminately at students, many of whom were
still asleep in their dormitories. They singled out Christians and shot
them, witnesses said.
The Kenyan government has offered a reward of
$53,000 (£36,000) for the man it says planned the killing - Mohamed Kuno,
a former Kenyan schoolteacher, now thought to be in Somalia.
US news outlet CNN reports that an apparently shaken President
Kenyatta has appealed to all Kenyans to remain calm in country where
residents still remember the Westgate Mall attack that left at least
He says his government will now speed up the recruitment of
more police personnel.
posted a "Most Wanted" notice for a man in
connection with the attack. The notice offers a
reward of 20 million Kenyan shillings, which is
about $215,000. The name listed is
Mohamed Mohamud, who also goes by the aliases
Dulyadin and Gamadhere. "We appeal to anyone
with any info on #Gamadhere to share with
relevant authorities and security agencies," the
Interior Ministry posted on Twitter."
The news outlet Al-Jazeera reports -
"Visiting the scene of the
carnage, Kenya's Interior Minister Joseph Nkaissery vowed that the
country would "not bow to terrorist threats".
"Kenya's government will
not be intimidated by the terrorists who have made killing innocent
people a way to humiliate the government," he told reporters, promising
the government will "fight back".
"I am confident we shall win this war
against our enemies." Al-Shabab also carried out the Westgate shopping
mall massacre in Nairobi in September 2013 when four gunmen killed 67
people in a four-day siege. During Thursday's attack, al-Shahab's
spokesman Sheikh Ali Mohamud Rage said the killings were in revenge for
the presence of Kenyan troops in Somalia as part of the African Union's
force backed the country's internationally-backed government."
the UK Minister for Africa James Duddridge has condemned
the attack and has pledged continued UK support in the fight against Al
Mr Duddridge said:
I strongly condemn the attack that took
place this morning in Garissa, Kenya. I
offer my condolences to the families and
loved ones of those who died. There can be no place
for such senseless acts of violence in our
The UK will continue to stand by
and support the Kenyan government in its
fight against terrorism, and in its efforts
to bring to justice those responsible for
this barbaric act."
The US government has also condemned the attack and a
the Press Secretary confirmed this
"The United States condemns in the strongest terms
today’s terrorist attack against the innocent men and women of Garissa
University College in eastern Kenya. We extend our deep condolences to
the families and loved ones of all those killed in this heinous attack,
which reportedly included the targeting of Christian students.
Our thoughts and prayers also are with the many
injured. The United States is providing assistance to the Kenyan
Government, and we will continue to partner with them as well as with
others in the region to take on the terrorist group al-Shabaab.
The United States stands with the people of Kenya, who
will not be intimidated by such cowardly attacks."